Paper Cut is in 6/8 time with a free(ish) 4/4 intro. The tune motors along in phrases of 16th notes.
The solo section moves through three of key centres, and as usual I’ve indicated good safe scale / mode choices for soloing, but – once again – do experiment!
Paper Cut was recorded at 60 bpm.
The key signature is C (for C instruments), D (for Bb instruments), A (for Eb instruments).
The structure is: 8 bar intro / head x 2 / solo section x 2 / head x 1 to fade.
If you’d like to play Paper Cut yourself, you can buy a ‘playalong’ pack for £2 on Bandcamp:
The pack consists of;
- the guide mp3 track (with guide sax)
- the ‘minus one’ (no sax) mp3 backing track
- an mp3 of the solo section looped (repeated) four times for soloing practise
- a single solo section for use in DAWs and looper apps & pedals
- printable lead sheets in Bb, Eb & C versions, (including scale choice suggestions for the solo sections)
Here’s the Bb version of the score with the audio:
NB. For Eb alto and baritone sax players the notes are all a fourth lower / fifth higher.