Solaar is another straightforward tune, though there’s a leap of a minor 9th from mid F# to altissimo G to keep tenor players (like me) on their toes.
The solo section moves through a number of key centres. I’ve indicated good safe scale choices for soloing, but – once again – do experiment!
Solaar was recorded at 120 bpm.
The key signature is Eb (for C instruments), F (for Bb instruments), C (for Eb instruments).
The structure is: 2 bar drum intro / 8 bar rhythm section intro / head x 2 / solo section x 2 / head x 2.
If you’d like to play Solaar yourself, you can buy a ‘playalong’ pack for £2 on Bandcamp:
The pack consists of;
- the guide mp3 track (with guide sax)
- the ‘minus one’ (no sax) mp3 backing track
- an mp3 of the solo section looped (repeated) four times for soloing practise
- a single solo section for use in DAWs and looper apps & pedals
- the lead sheet in Bb, Eb & C versions, (including scale choice suggestions for the solo sections)
Here’s the Bb version of the score with the audio:
NB. For Eb alto and baritone sax players the notes are all a fourth lower.